On Friday, 4 January 2013 at 19:59:19 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
On Friday, January 04, 2013 20:30:28 Rob T wrote:
Absolutely! Otherwise someone is going to think v2.062 is greater than v2.062.1. Guaranteed. I already got semi-confused looking at the latest download page and I know what's going on far more than Joe Smith who walks in tomorrow checking out D for the first time.

Really? Why on earth would you think that 2.062 was greater than 2.062.1? Also, I believe that it's very common with Linux packages (and probably the projects themselves) to do that sort of versioning where there's never a .0
and the last part only gets added when you actually get a .1.

- Jonathan M Davis

Both debian and ubuntu uses version.of.software-packageversion

For instance :

$ apt-cache policy audacious
audacious:
  Installé : 3.2.4-1
  Candidat : 3.2.4-1
 Table de version :
     3.3.3-2 0
10 http://ftp.fr.debian.org/debian/ experimental/main amd64 Packages
 *** 3.2.4-1 0
990 http://ftp.fr.debian.org/debian/ testing/main amd64 Packages 150 http://ftp.fr.debian.org/debian/ unstable/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     2.3-2 0
800 http://ftp.fr.debian.org/debian/ stable/main amd64 Packages

3.2.4 is the version of audacious. 1 is the version of the package. Distro rarely interfers with the version of the software itself and simply resuse what software devs choose, adding their own system on top of it.