On Wednesday, 9 January 2013 at 23:14:37 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
On 1/9/13 1:23 PM, Mehrdad wrote:
On Wednesday, 9 January 2013 at 21:14:56 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
If it holds the actual address you can't implement memory reclamation
and keep it safe.

Andrei

You mean because of circular references, or something else?

And are you considering reference counting to be garbage collection like Walter does, or are you claiming refcounting won't solve this problem
but GC will?

This is a bit of a crash course in GC and formal semantics in the form of a Q&A, which is rather inefficient.

The topic of GC and memory safety is well studied but unfortunately little information about it is available in book format. I suggest you start e.g. with http://llvm.org/pubs/2003-05-05-LCTES03-CodeSafety.pdf and the papers it refers to get a grip on the challenges and tradeoffs involved.

If anyone has better suggestions of reading materials, please chime in - I'd be very interested as well.

Thanks,

Andrei

My favorite GC book:

http://www.amazon.com/Garbage-Collection-Algorithms-Automatic-Management/dp/0471941484/ref=sr_1_2?s=books-intl-de&ie=UTF8&qid=1357774599&sr=1-2