On Tuesday, 22 January 2013 at 21:02:32 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
I don't really have much embedded experience besides assembly programming in the old days (Z80, M68000, x86, MIPS, self build processor for digital circuits class).

My understanding is that the processors the micro-controler class, the ones with memory in the order of bytes or kilobytes, usually C compilers that only implement part of the ANSI standard, given the hardware constraints.

Meaning just a very small subset of data types is supported, limited library support and lots of compiler extensions to make use of the processor and on die ports.

Nothing like this here - you have all types, you have complete libm, libc and stdlibc++ with everything you need. There are no compiler extensions other than a typical GCC __attribute__ used to declare interrupts, which is not really necessary on most Cortex-M3 chips. These are really powerful chips with 1.25DMIPS/MHz and clocks around 70MHz (ranging from 24MHz to 204MHz)... There's even a dual-core chip - LPC43xx which has Cortex-M4F (with single precision hardware FPU and some SIMD instructions) and a Cortex-M0, both running at 204MHz <:

So these are not very much like 8-bit microcontrollers (AVR, PIC, ...)

That's why I think D would fit such chips quite nice (; Sans the GC of course... Maybe without exceptions too, but I don't think that would be possible (it's pretty hard in C++)...

4\/3!!