On 1/23/13 3:29 PM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
On 2013-01-23 08:57, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:

I completely disagree. (Sorry to foul you twice.) All AST macro systems
I've studied are considerably difficult to understand and use
effectively. By comparison, string macros are brutal and unstructured
but the kind of thing all programmer worth their salt can get done.

I was talking about functions running at compile time. In D that's
handled by an interpreter which doesn't support the full language.

It's a subset. That's a better thing than _another_ language.

It
also behaves differently from the "regular" language.

To the smallest extent possible.

Bugs occur in the
CTFE interpreter which doesn't occur in the regular compiler.

Not an argument.

In Scala it _is_ the regular compiler that handles both the CTFE and the
regular code. A bug in the regular compiler will show up during CTFE as
well.

Agreed this is a good thing for Scala, it takes advantage of the jit infrastructure.

BTW, how do you make a string mixin hygienic?

By passing fresh names as arguments into the function creating it. We don't have a strong story there.