On 1/24/13 4:08 PM, Adam Wilson wrote:
On Thu, 24 Jan 2013 12:58:41 -0800, Andrei Alexandrescu
<seewebsiteforem...@erdani.org> wrote:

On 1/24/13 3:45 PM, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
On Thu, 24 Jan 2013 12:51:32 -0500
Andrei Alexandrescu<seewebsiteforem...@erdani.org> wrote:
No, you merely came up with *some* specific cherry-picked examples that
sparked *some* debate (with most of the disagreing coming from
you).

I simply mentioned three reasons that came to mind.

Andrei

While I don't approve of Mr. Sabalausky's tone or attitude, the crux of
his argument is logically sound. The problem with @property isn't
@property, it's D's insistence on optional parens. If paren usage was
clearly defined then this would be a non-issue. I would like to point
out that I can't think of another systems/general purpose language that
has an calling syntax specification as vague and convoluted as D's. C#'s
is brutally simple. Java's is brutally simple. In C/C++ everything is a
function or field, so, brutally simple.

Make D's calling syntax simpler, end optional parens!

Simplicity is clearly good, but there's something to be said about those warts in chained calls. The UFCS-enabled idioms clearly bring a strong argument to the table, there's no ignoring it.