On Thursday, 24 January 2013 at 22:45:52 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
Having a release process does not remove the pain of breaking changes that make users miserable because their older code no longer compiles.

Beg my pardon, it is very ignorant position. It assumes user is some kind of stubborn creature that is scared of any spec changes. But it is not really the case. Users are not afraid of compiler release breaking their code - they are afraid of not having a single compiler version that both is stable enough and works for their code. And that it is very different.

It is fine to break code in release if you still provide bug-fixes to some older version that may be recommended for usage until time to fix code base is taken. And this is exactly where good release process shines, it is single most important reason to have it.

To sum up my position:
1) D spec is imperfect
2) Breaking change are inevitable
3) Saying "breaking changes" are bad means hiding the problem
4) It is better to focus on process to minimize breaking changes damage than rant about how bad they are 5) Leaving feature badly designed for years with no hope to change is worse than breaking code.

I'd really like to read your position on _all_ of those statements, because we are running circles here.