On 2013-02-16 20:35, Russel Winder wrote:

Thus I suggest that it is not that the build tool is embedded in the
package manager but that package and dependency management is part of
the build system.

In general yes, but I think that there should be two separated tools and handle what they're designed to handled. On top of that they should have great integration with each other. I'm not talking about processes invoking each other. I'm talking about both tools are built as libraries and can be easily integrated with each other.

Say we have build tool A and package manager B. I don't want to force anyone using A just to use B, or the opposite.

--
/Jacob Carlborg