On 02/26/2013 04:26 PM, Craig Dillabaugh wrote:
I am a novice D programmer and use C++ in my work. One thing I
find myself doing when I need to implement some non-trivial
algorithm is that I will originally code it in D and perform
testing from there to make sure I have the logic right.
Once I have everything working in D I simply port it over to C++.

I have to say that these days (also as someone who programs for scientific research purposes) I find that I can both write _and_ use D effectively -- the range of functionality that I need to rely on is pretty solid in D. Depending on exactly what it is you need to use, your sense of the "maturity" of D may be paranoid (but of course I appreciate paranoia as a virtue where scientific software is concerned:-).

Now, that said, I can see myself doing exactly what you describe in a case where I really felt the need to use C/C++. The major reason to do so would probably be ease of access to C or C++ libraries, or collaborative requirements (most of my colleagues are C++ users for serious number crunching, although at least one typically uses FORTRAN).