On Wednesday, 27 February 2013 at 21:57:06 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
On 2/27/13 3:16 PM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
On 2013-02-27 14:29, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:

Four years ago I would've entirely agreed. But right now it's an odd comment to make seeing as we're discussing all major decisions in this
group and we're switching full-bore to DIPs.

The "alias this" syntax the foobar mentioned was removed under the radar
and only discussed in a pull request.

I agree we were sloppy on that. Kenji was feeling strong about and Walter and I didn't have particular objections, so we gave him green light. In the process we neglected backward compatibility.

Andrei

At a bare minimum, there should be a well defined place to notify *users* (NOT DMD contributers) about language changes *ahead of time*. If such place is not defined, than people do not know where to look for that info if that is even available at all. This at least will remove the element of surprise.

For D to be really open as it claims to be, there should be additional guidelines about the decision making process itself. This should be made accessible for *users* (D programmers). I need not be a core DMD contributer, nor should I need to know C++ or DMD's internals, Nor should I need to browse among hundreds of bugs on bugzilla or pull requests on github (both can be labeled very poorly) to discern out of that sea of information what are the *few* visible changes to the language and core library APIs.