On Sunday, 3 March 2013 at 05:18:13 UTC, Daniel Murphy wrote:
"Zach the Mystic" <reachbutminusthisz...@googlymail.com> wrote in message

Something like this https://github.com/yebblies/magicport2 ?

Yes! I need to look it over more thoroughly, but I couldn't ask for a better beginning. Can I trust that you'll be a willing part of future discussions on this matter, even if only to play Devil's Advocate?

More like a full-blown attempt than a beginning. I started this a long time
ago.

There are three parts to it:
- c++ parser/d printer, with lots of cheating and special cases
- patches to the c++ source
- patched version of dmd to build the result (no error on variable shadowing
etc)

It produces a 70000 line d file which appears to get through 3/7ths of semantic1. Root needs to be ported, and a cleaner interface to the backend
is needed to compile the glue layer.

Yes, more than a beginning. This is a higher-level approach than mine, clearly.

In your estimation, how high-level is your approach compared to my lower-level one? How far would each of us have to travel to meet in the middle, in other words? :)