On Tuesday, 5 March 2013 at 12:20:15 UTC, Dicebot wrote:
On Tuesday, 5 March 2013 at 10:41:36 UTC, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
On 2013-03-05 09:48, Dicebot wrote:

I can find nothing on the topic of "separation" issue down that link. In fact I have never met a C/C++ programmer saying fact of having a separate headers is a problem, it was a loved feature if anything. Problem was the way it was designed, via pre-processor. D fixes this by introducing real symbolic imports and that is good, but completely irrelevant to the topic of separation of interface and implementation.

We are all here :)

Well, that is why I am so surprised and asking for rationale with better explanation than "it is obvious". I am rather astonished by an overall negative reaction to a long awaited (by me) Andrei proposal.

Clearly there's a misunderstanding going on somewhere. For example when I say "code duplication" you say "There is close to zero code duplication." but from my POV there clearly is code duplication and it is indeed significant and completely unnecessary. Also my understanding of what a module accomplishes is a super set of what you think a module accomplishes, i.e., I include that it solves the code duplication problem, you don't.

I agree that the current method of automated .di generation is a failure, but I think it is a failure only because the programmer has no control over specifying what goes into the .di file from within the module source, and that the automated .di generation and maintenance implementation is incomplete.

At this point in the discussion, I don't see a sound reason why the automated .di generation cannot be fixed (proposed solutions haven't even been discussed in any depth), and regressing back to manual separation of code seems like a "quick fix" hack that introduces a set of serious problems that cancel out the benefits and probably make the situation worse.

You seem to support the idea of using manual .di generation and maintenance, which implies to me that you think automated .di generation cannot succeed, is this correct? If so, then I have to ask why?

--rt