On Tuesday, 5 March 2013 at 12:01:54 UTC, eles wrote:
On Monday, 4 March 2013 at 06:18:35 UTC, Manu wrote:
+1_000_000_000

Yes please!
It's near impossible to get a brief overview of a class at a glance in D!

Exactly for this reason, what about make this way at least the recommended way, if not the single one?

What is to lose? As about what to win, basically each .d file will carry its .di file (class definition) inside it, and the latter can be easily extracted (both visually and automatically).

Just one note: please allow that the private variables of a class (those that are not exposed outside the file) be declarable outside the main definition of the class, that is with the . syntax. This will completely make declaration and implementation independent, to the point that the class definition is an interface and nothing else.

This is what I'd like to see happen with modules which seems to be in agreement with what you are proposing: The module source file should contain everything needed to automatically generate and maintain a .di file. There should no need to manually maintain a .di file.

How we accomplish that goal is an implementation detail, however I fully agree that something needs to be done and it should be done without any need to manually maintain separate .di files.

--rt