Certainly, I agree that having the minimal tests required to test everything
that needs testing should be the goal, but figuring out which tests are and
aren't really needed is a bit of art.

That's why we are engineers, and not mere code monkeys.

Actually, I'd argue that in perfect world, you'd test absolutely every
possible input to make sure that it had the correct output, but that's
obviously impossible in all but the most simplistic code,

We can exploit mathematics to reduce the test cases while testing thoroughly. In physics I learned to test one's solution with the boundary cases and a couple of known cases. Mathematically, that was sufficient.