Brad Roberts wrote:
Don wrote:
bearophile wrote:
Andrei Alexandrescu:
there's been a sharp increase in bug reports and patches recently.
Walter and I are still scratching our head over that (it's not like
dmd got much crappier overnight). I can only infer that more people
have started using more of D.
I think it's mostly a complex consequence of showing DMD source code.
I have "predicted" this outcome in one post more than one year ago.
Yes. It's the simple fact that you can compile DMD out-of-the-box. In
fact, everyone who has downloaded DMD is "forced" to have a working copy
of the source code!
It's interesting to compare this with GDC, which, with the GNU license,
is a purer form of "free software". Yet, it's amazingly difficult to get
it to compile (I tried once, and failed).
It's not just about having source code "available".

I don't believe that to be the case.  That would explain why more _fixes_ are
being provided (primarily thanks to your contributions), but not why there's
been an increase in bug _filing_.

Walter would say that the number of bug reports for a compiler is an indication of its popularity.