On Sunday, 28 April 2013 at 19:19:53 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
On 4/27/2013 2:58 PM, jerro wrote:
On Saturday, 27 April 2013 at 21:52:30 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
On 4/27/2013 2:29 PM, Rob T wrote:
If bools are 1 bit ints, then why do we have 'true' and 'false' as keywords?

Because writing cast(bool)0 and cast(bool)1 is unappealing.

I would expect boolean literals to be something like 0b and 1b, not true and false then.

To reiterate, history amply shows that if 'true' and 'false' are not there, then people will define them themselves, inconsistently, and the end result is not helpful to anybody.

History also amply shows that having a 'bool' data type that tries to behave like a 'bit' data type also leads to frustration.

See:
- This thread
- std::vector<bool>