On Thursday, 2 May 2013 at 17:13:46 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
On Thu, 2013-05-02 at 17:44 +0100, Bruno Medeiros wrote:
[…]
To be honest, that's one of the reasons that put me off working with ANLTR. It seems easy to create a parser with ANTLR, but to create an efficient, well-behaved parser it looks quite complicated, in the sense that you can't abstract yourself from what is happening under the hood... you have to read a lot of theory and documention to learn the innards of ANTLR, and understand what kind of code it's actually generating, and how it processes input. (at moments it feels like you have to take a degree to learn how to use it effectively...)

The Groovy parser is an ANTLR 2.7.7 grammar, it works well and quickly. I think the trick is to work with the LL(k) idioms and avoid letting
LALR(1) thoughts creep in.

LALR(1) is O(n) last time I looked. Both Ll(k) and LALR(k) should never backtrack. Dunno what Antlr is doing.