On Mon, 20 May 2013 14:44:04 -0700, Nick Sabalausky <seewebsitetocontac...@semitwist.com> wrote:

On Mon, 20 May 2013 22:40:06 +0200
"Diggory" <digg...@googlemail.com> wrote:

The main difficulties with doing the same thing in opengl and
making it cross platform seem to be:
[...]

On the other hand you get the advantages of hardware acceleration
and pretty much unlimited custom drawing capabilities and I'd
expect to see a lot of interesting custom controls out there. I'd
definitely favour this option!

These days, native UIs are already hardware accelerated. Aero is,
Quartz is, etc. There was a huge push towards this ten-plus years ago.

Erm, when it comes to Aero, that depends. Aero Glass, the window chrome is rendered in Hardware. But the styling of each UI widget, buttons for example, is still done by GDI in software.

--
Adam Wilson
IRC: LightBender