On Thursday, 23 May 2013 at 18:22:54 UTC, Joseph Rushton Wakeling wrote:
On 05/23/2013 08:13 PM, Brad Anderson wrote:
Now I'm wondering what can be done to foster this newly acquired credibility in games. By far the biggest issue I hear about when it comes to people working on games in D is the garbage collector. You can work around the GC without too much difficulty as Manu's experience shared in his DConf talk shows but a lot of people new to D don't know how to do that. We could also use some tools and
guides to help people identify and avoid GC use when necessary.

As a starting point, do we have a list of the Phobos functions that allocate using GC when there's no need to? That's a concern of Manu's that it ought to be possible to address relatively swiftly if the information is to hand.

I think that's where Johannes Pfau's -vgc can come in and help. The phobos unit tests have pretty good coverage so building those with -vgc would, in theory, point out the vast majority of places in phobos that use the gc.