Lionello Lunesu wrote:
Denis Koroskin wrote:
On Sun, 31 May 2009 22:45:23 +0400, Vladimir Panteleev <thecybersha...@gmail.com> wrote:
I just went through a ~15000-line project and replaced most occurrences of void[]. Now the project is an ugly mess of void[], ubyte[] and casts, but at least it doesn't leak memory like crazy any more. I don't know why it was decided to mark the contents of void[] as "might have pointers". It makes no sense!
FWIW, I also consider void[] as a storage for an arbitrary untyped binary
 > data, and thus I believe GC shouldn't scan it.

You're contradicting yourself there. void[] is arbitrary untyped data, so it could contain uints, floats, bytes, pointers, arrays, strings, etc. or structs with any of those.

I think the current behavior is correct: ubyte[] is the new void*.

Even in C, people often use unsigned char* for arbitrary data that does not include pointers.