From his comments in the std.compress thread, Walter seems to believe that private symbols are not visible. This is not the case, and has never been the case. In current DMD, private symbols will name conflict with public symbols from other modules.

This has been discussed several times, and Dicebot has put together a proposal in DIP22.

http://wiki.dlang.org/DIP22

I want to open this up again because the previous thread died off with no conclusion. I urge Walter/Andrei to approve this if they are happy with it so that the compiler devs have the greenlight to put the fix in. It has been a longstanding issue with the language, and your approval is the only thing blocking it from finally being resolved.