On Tuesday, 4 June 2013 at 18:33:21 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
Since protected access is actually ESSENTIAL in OOP (at least, some form of virtual non-public function access, private is not virtual, so it would be disastrous to remove protected), I am wondering whether Walter really meant "package", as that has very little utility.

"package" may become quite useful once we have better package. It allows to have some local "utility" module used by specific package but not generic enough in global so that it won't cause name collision (after DIP22 is implemented, of course).