On Tuesday, 11 June 2013 at 17:01:43 UTC, Lars T. Kyllingstad wrote:
Ah, I suspected so. (At a point in D's history writeln() did do a flush; people wanted to eliminate it for efficiency reasons.)

We could introduce a flush() with throw in std.stdiobase.

As in a module destructor? Isn't it better to let the error pass silently rather than throwing an exception that can't be caught?

Passing silently on errors would contradict with several talks Andrei and Walter have given about how D's error handling is much better than C/C++ one (there are some HelloWorld program comparisions from those languages available on YT), I think they want that claim to remain valid. To me it is important to have error reported whenever something fails and have it as fast as possible - image a db backup system which fails silently.