On Monday, 1 July 2013 at 02:53:24 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
On Monday, July 01, 2013 04:37:43 Mehrdad wrote:
On Sunday, 30 June 2013 at 20:49:28 UTC, Peter Alexander wrote:
> sometimes faster

Would love an example that demonstrates it!

Anything involving taking a lot of substrings is likely to be faster in D thanks to slices

That doesn't mean D is "faster". It just means it's less painful to get the same performance.

Regarding what someone else mentioned, I wasn't talking about the backend either.

As an example of what I was looking for, consider that people claim a GC can be faster than manual memory management. If that's the scenario we're talking about, then what I was asking for is to see piece of _code_ (not a hand-wavy explanation!) that demonstrates GC-based code being faster than non-GC-based code.

If it's a different feature (I don't know what), then I'd like to know what it is strictly in terms of performance.

In other words, I know C++ is _painful_ to write fast code in, but that doesn't make it slower; it just makes it more painful. On the other hand, if you could demonstrate that e.g. the GC is faster than manual memory management, then I'd totally agree D is faster than C++.