Thanks for the link.  In my experience, mobile networking is
slow in general. When I run Speedtest on my phone vs. a laptop sitting right next to it, the phone has a fraction of the bandwidth of the laptop. So there's even more at issue than raw JS performance.

Sean is right, this is only one side of problem and very often not a major, another side is mobile network bandwidth and infrastructure load. It is usual for corporate offices/cities (sharing), weak signal conditions and movement you will have quite limited bandwidth even for LTE/3G cases.