On Wednesday, 10 July 2013 at 13:33:15 UTC, Michel Fortin wrote:
On 2013-07-09 18:12:25 +0000, Paulo Pinto <pj...@progtools.org> said:

A bit off-topic, but well worth reading,

http://sealedabstract.com/rants/why-mobile-web-apps-are-slow/

What I'm retaining from this is that garbage collectors are wasteful. They're viable if you have a lot of RAM to spare.

But I think that this is why newer Android phone have a lot of RAM: a GS4 has 2GB of RAM.

They cause noticeable hiccups at unpredictable times unless you have a battery-hungry overpowered CPU that makes pauses impossible to notice.

Yes and "pauseless GCs" have even higher CPU usage..

renoX

And while those pauses are not that bad for non-realtime apps, all iOS apps are considered realtime by Apple because you don't want hiccups messing smooth scrolling and animations.

Also, non-deterministic deallocation makes it hard for an app to fit within a fixed memory limit.