On Monday, 5 August 2013 at 21:48:46 UTC, Andre Artus wrote:
On Monday, 5 August 2013 at 19:58:21 UTC, ron wrote:
On Monday, 5 August 2013 at 08:46:54 UTC, Andre Artus wrote:
On Monday, 5 August 2013 at 06:28:12 UTC, luminousone wrote:
perhaps a more generic solution should be looked at, extend contracts to work with all scope blocks.

switch(somenumber)
in {
 ... before stuff ...
}
out {
 .... after stuff ...
}
body {
 case 1:
 in {
    ... etc ....
 }
 out {
    ... more etc ...
 }
 body {
 case 2:
   // and so on
}

or perhaps

for( int i = 0 ; i < 10 ; i ++ )
in {
 assert( i == 0 );
}
out {
 assert( i == 9 );
}
body {
... stuff ...
}

if it is desired for a particular contract block to be called in release builds perhaps a attribute label to mark it as a runtime block or something similar.

foreach( i, k ; somerange )
@runtime in {
body {
}

Please do not take offense, but I do not see this as a good idea. Contracts have a very different function; not just in D, but every language that uses them. The idea is to support design-by-contract programming. Overloading the constructs for the purposes proposed here would, in my opinion, cause confusion and/or weaken the proper use of contract programming.

The code in the contract conditions should never do anything more than what is necessary to specify the contract. It should not do explicit IO (other than implied by assert()), mutate state, or anything like that.

At the bottom of this page you can find a reading list for more info.
http://www.digitalmars.com/d/dbc.html

Or for a general overview:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Design_by_contract

Walter, does the D compiler or any of it's companion tools do any static analysis on the contracts? Such as a void safety/null reference check?

None taken, =-p.

I don't see how this is different from current contract usage, right now they apply to function scopes only. currently I believe you could get a similar effect via using an inner function.

void a() {
  int i = 0;
  void b()
  in {
     assert( i == 0 );
  }
  out {
     assert( i == 10 );
  }
  body {
     for( ; i < 10 ; i ++ ) {
        ... do something ...
  b();
}

I could be missing something, if so please clarify.

The construct I have issue with is this one,

switch(somenumber)
in {
 ... before stuff ...
}
out {
 .... after stuff ...
}

I would contend that code within in/out/invariant blocks should be 'pure' (no state changes, no IO [other than assert throwing]), it's only there to validate that a class and it's methods do not violate certain conditions. They should be able to be stripped out of the release build without altering the execution of the application in any way.

A classic example is the null dereference check, which some compilers and most (all?) static analysers can detect.

string whoIsAMonkey(Person p)
  in
  {
    assert(p !is null, "Person can not be null");
assert(!isNullOrEmpty(p.Name), "Person name can not be null or empty");
  }
  body
  {
    return p.Name ~ " is a monkey!";
  }

void main() {
    Person p = null;
    // Compiler / analyser should complain with
    // "Person can not be null"
    writeln(whoIsAMonkey(p));
    //                   ^ here
}

void main() {
    Person p = new Person();
    // Compiler / analyser should complain with
    // "Person name can not be null or empty"
    writeln(whoIsAMonkey(p));
}

etc.

Contracts are meant to define the public (*) interface of a class.

* By public I mean here anything not 'private', e.g. 'protected' for inheritance.

As Andrei points out in his book ("The D Programming Language") contracts are not used to validate/scrub user (or any external) input as they can be compiled out of the executable.

Contracts are there to check sanity at compile time, or at the very least during testing.

The contract is (or should be) part of the documentation.

You are correct. I will have to check out his book.