On Sunday, 14 July 2013 at 04:56:46 UTC, Val Markovic wrote:

So, Andrei also mentioned how the community needs to improve the
dlang.orgsite and make it a first-class priority. It's the point of
contact for
newcomers so it's very important we get it right. Since I know a
thing-or-two about web development, I decided to look into improving the
site.

Let me put my two cents at this thread, hope it would be useful.

(1) The thread went (from the start) to discussion of technical details, not content discussion, and users are interested in content itself, which, IMHO is not optimally organized.

(2) Flashing and slow responses are annoying but not so crucial (as from my experience), thought somebody waits for up to 7 seconds to load web page - agree, that should be fixed, but again, i do not have such problem or didn't noticed (why?).

(3) dlang.org content organisation:
(3.1) start page describes the language - very good, but it would be better if it also contains clear links (the big big buttons) to overview, download page, tutorial, documentation; (3.2) as were already mentioned the documentation should be extracted to dedicated site (either subdomain or subfolder) mainly to remove unnecessary at this section main site navigation. technically it would be better because documentation for sure have different markup / layout / page structure and probably would have different presentation. As for me I loved http://www.erlang.org/doc/man/edoc.html - clear, navigable, lightweight; (3.3) explicit language tutorial section would be great benefit (not doc->book->tutorial), language tour like for go language would be excellent.
    (3.4) explicit getting started page (infrastructure preparing)
    (3.4) are articles part of documentation?

(4) design and appearance:
(4.1) fixed width layout - more readable, all typesetting books recommends line to be no more then 66 characters long;
    (4.2) scrolling navigation pane is annoying.
(4.3) more lightweight and readable design: lighter background tones and darker foreground tones (people get used to read black symbols on white paper), thiner or zero borders, more explicit headers.

(5) external and outdated content: there are different d specific content outside dlang.org (i.e. source.org) containing tutorials, articles, source codes that is outdated and doesn't even compile. this mislead newbie, gets him irritated and force to quit learning language. if it is possible this content should be revised and incorporated to dlang.org and removed, because it breaks down all language marketing.

This just my thought that i hope could be useful, cause i'm a visual person type and got easily embarrassed by a lot of content especially when it is not well-formed =)