On Sunday, 18 August 2013 at 14:24:38 UTC, Tobias Pankrath wrote:
On Sunday, 18 August 2013 at 08:38:53 UTC, ilya-stromberg wrote:
As I can see, we have a few options:
- accept std.serialization as is. If users can't use std.serialization due memory limitation, they should find another way. - hold std.serialization until we will have new std.xml module with support of range/file input/output. Users should use Orange if they need std.serialization right now. - hold std.serialization until we will have binary archive for serialization with support of range/file input/output. Users should use Orange if they need std.serialization right now.
- use another xml library, for example from Tango.

Ideas?

We should add a suitable range interface, even if it makes no sense with current std.xml and include std.serialization now. For many use cases it will be sufficient and the improvements can come when std.xml2 comes. Holding back std.serialization will only mean that we won't see any new backend from users and would be quite unfair to Jacob and may keep off other contributors.

I completely agree.

I'm the one that brought it up, and I mostly brought it up so the API doesn't have to change once std.xml is fixed. I don't think changing the return type to a range will be too difficult or memory expensive.

Also, since slices *are* ranges, shouldn't this just work?