On Wednesday, 14 August 2013 at 19:55:52 UTC, ilya-stromberg wrote:
On Wednesday, 14 August 2013 at 19:23:51 UTC, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
On 2013-08-14 21:11, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:

I'm thinking some people may need to stream to/from large files and
would find the requirement of in-core representation limiting.

Yes, I understand that. But currently I'm limited by std.xml.

Can you use another serialization format and supports file output for it? For example, can you use JSON, BSON or binary format?

That's often not possible, especially when working with an external API.

When working with large files, it's much better to read the file in chunks so you can be processing the data while the platters are seeking. This isn't as big of a problem with SSDs, but you still have to wait for the OS. RAM usage is also an issue, but for me it's less of an issue than waiting for I/O.

Even if rotating media were to be phased out, there's still the problem of streaming data over a network.

std.xml will be replaced, but it shouldn't require breaking code to fix std.serialize.