On Tuesday, 20 August 2013 at 07:45:28 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
With the failure that Longhorn and Vista were, the .NET political camp inside Microsoft lost power to the native guys.

I bet this is what was behind the WinRT decision, because the original .NET design documents for .NET were actually based in COM as well.

Interesting!

Even if Microsoft decides to go fully native, then just have to change the C#/VB.NET/F# compilers to generate fully native binaries instead of MSIL.

.NET is just a language runtime. Developers should not confuse languages with implementations.

I don't quite agree with this. Imagine if I said "they just have to change their Javascript compilers to produce native code". It's clear that the semantics of the JS language do not map well enough to the x86 semantics for us to consider the produced x86 code to be "fully native". It would be x86 code, but you wouldn't be able to do systems programming, like in C++ or D. To a lesser extent the same is true with, say, C#. The design of the language makes it less native to a x86 CPU than C++.