On Wednesday, 21 August 2013 at 01:46:37 UTC, Ramon wrote:
On Tuesday, 20 August 2013 at 22:58:24 UTC, John Colvin wrote:
On Tuesday, 20 August 2013 at 22:49:40 UTC, Ramon wrote:
Happily I'm stupid and completely missed the condescending tone of an evident genius. Instead I'll just be grateful that it pleased one of the D masters to drop some statement down at me at all.

Awesome, thank you and keep destroying.

"destroying"??? Which part of "not to bash it" and of "D means a lot to me" and of "D is, no doubts, an excellent and modern incarnation of C/C++. As
far as I'm concerned D is *the* best C/C++ incarnation ever,
hands down." was too complicated to understand for your genius brain?

I knew this would happen at some point:
Andrei uses "destroy" as a positive term to denote a well-reasoned powerful argument/response.

Chill :)

Uhum.

Well, where I live "to destroy" has a pretty clear and very negative meaning. I took that post (of Mr. Alexandrescu) as very rude and condescending and I do not intend to change my communication habits so as to understand "to destroy" as a positive statement or even a compliment. While I'm certainly not in a position to look down on J. Ichbiah, N. Wirth, and B. Meyer, I have certainly not spent the last 25+ years without understanding a thing or two about my profession, no matter what Mr. Alexandrescu seems to think.

No matter what Mr. Alexandrescu thinks or likes/dislikes or how he behaves I recognize (and praise) D as a very major improvement on C/C++ and as a very attractive language (by no means only for system programming). Furthermore I recognize and respect Mr. Alexandrescu's profound knowledge of D and the (assumed and highly probable) value of his book and thank him for his work.

Maybe I'm simply profitting from my being a lowly retarded creature who, as some kind of a generous compensation by nature, is capable to recognize the knowledge and work of others irrespective of their being friendly or rightout rude and condescending.

As for Mr. Alexandrescu's book, I'm glad to report that I will no longer need to molest him with my lowly requests. I have found a way to buy an epub version (through InformIt/Pearson). "D The programming language" has been bought and already downloaded and I'm looking forward to learn quite a lot about D from it.

Regards - R.

I'm sorry you felt offended by that, but I can assure you, he didn't mean anything negative by it. I probably won't convince you, but here are a few other times the word "destroy" has been used in a similar manner (the first is by Andre):

http://forum.dlang.org/thread/kooe7p$255m$1...@digitalmars.com
http://forum.dlang.org/thread/iauldfsuxzifzofzm...@forum.dlang.org
http://forum.dlang.org/thread/rhwopozmtodmazcyi...@forum.dlang.org
http://forum.dlang.org/thread/jlbsreudrapysiaet...@forum.dlang.org

I agree though, it isn't the best term, especially for someone who isn't accustomed to this community, but it's part of the culture.

Cheers!