On Tue, Sep 03, 2013 at 10:30:52PM +0200, Ramon wrote:
[...]
> - dmd not debuggable -> not an acceptable solution, no matter how
> fast it compiles.

Please file bugs about this on the bug tracker (e.g., can't query local
variables, strings show up as .length and .ptr instead of string value,
etc., one bug per issue). That will give us ammunition to shoot Walter
with to get him to fix it. ;-) (We'll try not to aim too carefully so
that there will still be a D left at the end of the day. :-P)

> - gdc possibly still buggy (Disclaimer: Probably it was just bad
> luck that I fell over a bug (not even an important one) and am a
> little wary now - No offense intended. I'm immensely grateful
> that with gdc there is an alternative and, even better, GDB
> *works* with gdc - hurray!!)
> - gdc (2): I have to either use an old version (4.63) or build it
> myself along with gcc, which is a major hurdle

gdc-4.8 is already in debian/unstable.

[...]
> - Windoze stuff not yet tried. But the mere thought that D might
> force me to use Windoze puts dark shadows over D, sorry.
[...]

I'm not sure where you're getting the impression from that D is "windows
centric". Judging from my observations, it would appear that windows
support is lagging behind linux (e.g., 64-bit support for windows was
only recently added; it has been working on *nix for a long time).

If a person can't communicate, the very least he could do is to shut up.
-- Tom Lehrer, on people who bemoan their communication woes with their
loved ones.