On 07.09.2013 14:47, Benjamin Thaut wrote:
I propose that we add a command-line-paramter to the compiler (windows
only) which actually enables dllexport. So all behavior described in the
DIP will be enabled by default, but to actually make it mark symbols
with dllexport you have to specifiy a additional command-line-parameter.
We could call it "-dll" or something.

I don't think the issue is Windows specific, symbol visibility in the GNU toolchain is also bound to the declaration. I remember seeing public (visibility=default) symbols exported from static libraries on OSX.