On Monday, 16 September 2013 at 10:35:08 UTC, John Colvin wrote:
On Monday, 16 September 2013 at 10:10:32 UTC, Dicebot wrote:
On Monday, 16 September 2013 at 08:07:23 UTC, John Colvin wrote:
Ever since watching a friend have his entire /usr deleted by a dodgy 'sudo make install', i desperately avoid manually installing to anywhere but a dedicated subdir in $home. No root access needed and I actually know where everything is =)

I always create PKGBUILD's for stuff I need to install. Event it is a tiny one shot thing. And the fact that it automatically will run install script in contained sandbox is one of the major decision factors here (even placing in $home can destroy your home if makefile author is sloppy enough)

Seeing as I'm typing this from my newly set-up Arch64 installation, I suspect I might go down that route too =)

Btw, compltely off-topic, do you have any recomendations for an AUR helper?

I got used to yaourt when it was basically the only option :) I don't even know what others are to be honest P)