On Monday, 16 September 2013 at 17:08:38 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 06:49:01PM +0200, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
On Monday, 16 September 2013 at 16:44:56 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
>I don't find disagreement with what I said.
>[...]
>Nice, but what I see here is "different", not "better".

I think we may be disagreeing regarding different things.

>>You could use both (<dl class="d_decl">) if you like.
>
>I guess '<dl class="d_decl">' is one iota more specific than >'<div
>class="d_decl">' and would help if one wanted to view the HTML
>without any accompanying CSS. I doubt this is a goal to >pursue.

I refer to my original argument about how this is
borderline-nitpicking. I'd like to add, however, that user-agents such as screen readers might behave better when using appropriate
HTML tags.

I can attest to that. I'm on another mailing list where one of the list members is sight-impaired, and she complains about how some websites (i.e. those that suffer from heavy divitis and spanitis) simply can't be read in any sane way by the screen reader. Using built-in semantic tags like <dl> can make a world of difference for these users, since the screen reader has no idea what class="d_decl" means, but it *does* know
what <dl> means. I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss it.

Haven't followed the thread closely but one thing I've missed when trying to define a nicer stylesheet is something more specific that "d_decl".

d_decl is used for all declarations which means that you cannot style enums, templates, functions etc. differently in the docs. It would be nice to have an additional class added to the class attribute. For example: class="d_decl d_enum" or class="d_decl d_template".

/Jonas