Ahh, the "makeshit double boiler" method. I do similar for certain sakes. Ie, the ones that say on the bottle they're best when warmed ;) Also the ones that are best hot, which would be the lower-quality ones and any that are getting old (Sake's not like most other boozes - after the initial aging involved in production, more time beyond that just degrades the quality. After six months, may as well just drink it hot. I think people calling "rice wine" in misleading that way. It's not
even a wine at all, it's made from a grain, not a fruit.)

But I didn't know that about dark rum. I may try that sometime.

The ways I've had dark rum were probably mistakes: A "Dark and
Stormy" (dark rum with ginger beer), but problem is I don't like ginger beer ;). And once I tried using it like a regular rum in a chilled
fruity drink. Yea, I guess I didn't know what I was doing.

Dark and Stormys definitely were not a mistake! I used to fly through Bermuda on business trips (long story) and was introduced to them there. The bartender made them with Gosling's Rum and whatever the local ginger beer was (not to be confused with ginger ale, ginger beer is spicier). I highly recommended it for those who have never tried one! Gosling's is a nice dark rum, not terribly hard on the wallet either. It's a shame the ginger beer disagreed with you, a good solution is to just use more rum to water down the ginger beer flavor a bit :). I'll have to try the dark rum warmed up sometime, it sounds like a nice Fall weather drink.