On Wednesday, 18 September 2013 at 19:33:15 UTC, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
On 2013-09-18 20:39, Nick Sabalausky wrote:

Particularly the flavored ones :). Like Coconut/Pineapple Parrot Bay, or Malibu. Tried Capt Morgan's spiced rum once too, very good. Not so
big on black rum when I tried it, but maybe it was just the
brand or needs the right mixed drink.

Nooooo, not Captain Morgan. It's horrible. Captain Morgan, Bacardi and Negrita (if I recall correctly) are the three worst kinds. At least of what is common here.

Havana Club is very nice standard rum. Nothing fancy, good for mixing drinks. Ron Barcelo is another good rum. Cruzan is also very nice, unfortunately I can get it here.

If you want something better, for drinking as it is without mixing, kind of like with Cognac, a dark rum is best. Rum Plantation Grande Reserve Barbados is one of my favorites, very affordable. Diplomático is a bit more expensive but very nice.

Mount Gay is a nice rum, both good for mixing drinks and drinking as it is.

With dark rums, it nice to drink them slightly warm. Boil some water, pour it in a glass. Pour some dark rum in a Cognac glass[1], put the glass with the rum on the glass with water. The glass with the rum shouldn't touch the water, but almost. You get a completely different flavor. Very nice :)

I once tried a dark rum. At first I almost thought it was whiskey, it had a very smoky flavor.

Pirates (and ninjas!) know how to drink ;)

:)

[1] http://www.cognac-glasses.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Cognac.jpg

+1 for Plantation!