On Thursday, 19 September 2013 at 08:26:03 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
Java is no longer under-performant compared to C, C++, Fortran, D, Go, Rust. Check the benchmarks.
Interesting. Java people have been saying this for years and it's never been quite true, so I just looked up the benchmark shootout to see if you're right. It shows Java 7 doing pretty well against C++ these days, roughly equivalent speed or at worst half as fast:

http://benchmarksgame.alioth.debian.org/u64q/benchmark.php?test=all&lang=java&data=u64q

I'd still never use it as I hate how verbose Java is, but it's intriguing to see that they've tightened it up. Of course, all the usual caveats apply, as these benchmarks are not necessarily representative, might have been gamed, blah, blah, blah...