On Thursday, 19 September 2013 at 14:49:35 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:

actually, I do want some way to transfer files easily. Using scp and so on is kinda a pain, I would like to just

cat file > REMOTE_COMPUTER

and be done with it. scp is ok if you have keys set up on both sides and they are unix, but when you're on putty and just want to dump a file over to the Windows side, what I'd love is to hit a command and then get a save as prompt on the receiving end. Or, better yet, run a program right on it too.

At the lowest level, you could use netcat for this (and like a million other awesome/silly things). An rsync daemon might also pinch hit here. But it sounds like what you really want is a writable CIFS mount. Or sshfs.

-Wyatt