On Friday, 20 September 2013 at 10:41:39 UTC, Bruno Medeiros wrote:
Even without seeing that article, I can well believe it. It seems they shun away completely from compile-time optimizations, and not much reasoning is given to that. It seems almost a purely political/marketing move: like if they want to push the mantra that JITing is the be all and end all of compiler optimization, and doing any kind of compile-time optimization would be admitting that compile-time is also important (and somehow making Java more prone to direct performance comparisons to other languages/platforms?)

Perhaps you're being a little paranoid. I think they don't want to do optimization in the compiler because this would remove the incentive/pressure to implement those optimizations in the JVM, which is bad for all other languages/compilers that target the JVM. For the JVM-ecosystem it is best if as many optimizations possible are implemented in the JVM.

If you look at existing benchmarks Java is comparable to many other languages/platforms with regard to performance.