On 20/09/13 10:47, PauloPinto wrote:
KDevelop and KDE always suffered a big push back from Linux and BSD developers,
because of their C++ roots.

Back when I did a few contributions to GTKmm, the GNOME community used to
ostracize the project because it was being done in C++. There used to exist a
few big C vs C++ flamewars back then

As I recall there was a bit of an ideological aspect around this. The GNU guidelines, written quite a long while ago, advocated using C rather than C++ where possible because it was more portable, and for some people this seems to have turned into a religious dogma rather than a practical consideration (much like kosher or halal, to be honest...).

KDevelop was always seen as an IDE for KDE developers, nothing else.

Well, whatever the intent, if you want to install it you have to pull in a ton of KDE dependencies, which is always annoying if you're on a different desktop environment and don't use any other KDE applications.

I used it a fair bit -- albeit as a superpowered text editor rather than a true IDE -- up until the switch to KDE 4, when the new release became very unstable and prone to crashing (if I recall right it was the symbol parsing that would fall over).

I'm sure it's a great IDE (the KDE devs have always been good at building really functional software), but it doesn't seem an ideal target for cross-platform use.