As I understand it, the problem is that there isn't really another mechanism
to do what druntime is using signals for. So, we're between a bit of a rock
and a hard place. Ideally though, we would find a way to do it without using
signals.

- Jonathan M Davis

What we need is pthread_suspend and the ability to determine the stack top of the suspended thread. That would also allow for some nice unification of core.thread. I already have that on my TODO list, low prio though. I think I saw a solution to this in some other GC (V8 maybe?).