On Wednesday, 9 October 2013 at 19:24:18 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
1. Array slicing becomes clumsy instead of fast & cheap

2. Functions can now accept new'd data, data from user allocations, static data, slices, etc., with aplomb. Wiring in ARC would likely make this unworkable.

If we had working scope storage class, these could be solved - you could slice to your heart's content as long as the reference never escapes your current scope.

Really, I want this regardless of the rest of the discussion just because then we can boot a lot of stuff to the library.

I realize it is easier said than done, but I'm pretty sure it is technically supposed to work already...