On Friday, 11 October 2013 at 23:24:00 UTC, Andrej Mitrovic wrote:
On Friday, 11 October 2013 at 23:13:34 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
Honestly I first thought it was "linear-time algorithms".

Andrei

I thought it was some kind of algae species.

Why not just call it std.algebra?

Because, amongst people who know, numerical linear algebra algorithms form their own little world of computing apart from what may be called 'algebra'. 'Algebra' could mean any number of things, like symbolic algebra, but the entire world of MATLAB/R programmers know exactly what linalg might be. Numerical linear algebra. See the reference text by Golub and Van Loan.

I would try to fit this module under some larger numeric or scientific computing hierarchy, but I don't see one in D yet.

The Julia language is the competitor here, and it is already well ahead of D, but who knows how the race will end?

-- Brian