On Monday, 28 October 2013 at 15:49:41 UTC, Joseph Rushton Wakeling wrote:
On 28/10/13 14:22, evilrat wrote:
sure, but i would prefer LLVM license over GCC if i were in Apple dev team(and that what they did). also LLVM is quite young, so who knows what people
contribute to it in near future...

Surely, but we should have sympathy for Apple's desire to be able to exert proprietary control over their products because ... ? :-)
Do you have any evidence that they've exerted "proprietary control" over llvm, say by adding closed modules to their compiler?

I actually talked to the head llvm guy at Apple about this possibility a couple years back and he was adamantly against anyone outside closing up parts of the compiler. Of course, he may not get to make that decision at Apple and we can't know the truth unless we peek at the source for the shipping compiler at Apple, but I haven't seen any evidence that llvm isn't developed in the open.

Have you?

Don't get me wrong, LLVM itself is a fantastic project, and as long as people contribute great code to great free software projects I don't really mind what their motivation is, but if Apple's goal is to avoid the patent-related provisions of GPLv3, we could be in for a nasty surprise at some point in the future if compiler-related patents Apple holds become part of the battleground of the computing market.
While I do not buy Apple products because of their odious patent stance, I highly doubt they would ever use such compiler patents, if they even have any. Microsoft has a patent on continually scanning a document for spelling errors and highlighting them (http://www.google.com/patents/US5787451), yet _as far as we know_ (and according to a former Microsoft employee - http://keithcu.com/wordpress/?page_id=1548), they've never asserted it on the dozens of applications with such spell-checking in their text editing controls, including this Chrome browser tab I'm currently typing into.

I agree that it is a problem that Apple doesn't do a patent grant for their open source projects, assuming they even have any compiler or other software patents on them, but I'm skeptical they'd ever enforce those anyway. Also, IANAL, but I believe they'd never be able to extract any money from such a lawsuit anyway, since they don't make any money from clang or Safari and give them away for free.

From a purely technical point of view, Apple doesn't need a compiler that supports a wide range of platforms, so GCC's much broader range of hardware support is irrelevant to it. But it's an advantage GCC continues to have in the bigger picture.
Sure.