On 10/30/2013 12:24 PM, H. S. Teoh wrote:
On Tue, Oct 29, 2013 at 07:14:50PM -0700, Walter Bright wrote:
Ha. And yet where do we see companies pouring all that money into?
Precisely into improving quality, improving test coverage, inventing
better screening for hiring engineers, and in many places, requiring
pieces of paper to certify that candidate X has successfully completed
program Y sponsored by large corporation Z, which purportedly has a good
reputation that therefore (by some inscrutible leap of logic) translates
to proof that candidate X is capable of producing better code, which
therefore equates to the product being made ... safer? Hmm. Something
about the above line of reasoning seems to be fishy somewhere. :P

There's still plenty of reason to improve software quality.

I just want to emphasize that failsafe system design is not about improving
quality.