On Wednesday, 30 October 2013 at 21:18:16 UTC, Timon Gehr wrote:
On 10/30/2013 11:01 AM, Chris wrote:
"Poorly designed firmware caused unintended operation, lack of driver
training made it fatal."
So it's the driver's fault, who couldn't possibly know what was going on in that car-gone-mad? To put the blame on the driver is cynicism of the worst kind. Unfortunately, that's a common (and dangerous) attitude I've come across
among programmers and engineers.

There are also misguided end users who believe there cannot be any other way (and sometimes even believe that the big players in the industry are infallible, and hence the user is to blame for any failure).

I know. A lot of people are like that. But who (mis)guides them? The big PR campaigns by big companies who talk about "safety" and "precision" and give users a false sense of security. Now that I think of it, maybe the fact that they don't have a simple mechanical backup is not because of the engineering culture. Maybe it is to do with the fact that a product might seem less attractive, if the company admits that it can fail by including a backup mechanism.