On Wednesday, 6 November 2013 at 05:38:54 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
On Tuesday, November 05, 2013 16:27:39 Jesse Phillips wrote:
So, is he writing D code now :D. Or did he complain about the
syntax, all the types being on the left?

LOL. I doubt that someone who's that big a fan of Go would switch thanks to that (would you have switched to Go if the Go implementation had won?) - especially when Go and D are so dissimilar. In general, I would expect fans of Go to dislike D and fans of D to dislike Go simply because of how very different their designs are. But it _would_ show him that D can compete with Go
for performance even in Go's area of expertise.

Go is on the list of languages that I'd like to spend more time becoming familiar with, because I think that it's good to know lots of programming languages, but the more I learn about it, the less I like it. Its design
philosophies are just too different from my preferences.

- Jonathan M Davis

I rather use D than Go, but it has more to do with Go's community with their religion decisions about generics, dynamic loading, exceptions, enumerations, package management than anything else.

The language follows the Pascal tradition of type declarations and safety before performance dirty tricks. I find quite appealing its Oberon and Alef/Lingo influences.

It is good enough for many cases where people, wrongly, still use C. For example, the complete UNIX user space.

Now for those of us that have become used to the niceties the mainstream languages have adopted from academia in the last 30 years, Go feels a bit too light.

Anyway on my day job, we will not be moving away from JVM/.NET world any time soon.

--
Paulo