On 11/10/13 3:21 PM, Timon Gehr wrote:

It seems we could even get rid of __FILE__,__LINE__,__MODULE__ with AST
macros.

This would be a very small advantage. The special variables hardly cause
any trouble.

Andrei

The trouble is that there are too few of them to (efficiently) reflect
all the information about the calling context one may be interested in.
I don't see the point in adding them one after another in an
unprincipled ad-hoc fashion instead of actually thinking up a good API
coupled with some more expressive power.

But the API would add them in exactly the same rote manner. I really don't see an advantage here. An argument for macros would have to do a lot more than "we don't need __FILE__ etc. anymore".