On Wednesday, 13 November 2013 at 09:12:40 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
Personally, I have no interest in it and think that its designers made some very poor choices, but that doesn't mean that we should be making fun of it or make fun of Google for being the place where the engineers who created it work. The fact that Google let its engineers spend company time on creating a new programming langueg says very good things about Google, even if the
language itself ultimately isn't what we'd like.

- Jonathan M Davis

For the record, I wasn't making fun of Go when I spoke of its readability being a particular virtue. If I was managing a large project with programmers of divergent ability then I might well pick it for that reason alone. The design choices might seem poor from the perspective of someone looking for a language that gives them lots of power, but if you look at it from the perspective of a language designed to minimise the power of co-workers (and anybody else) to write difficult-to-understand code, it's designed magnificently.

An example of this is how, in order to avoid ambiguity, both automatic dereferencing and the -> operator from C were omitted from the language. This means that if pt is a pointer to a struct, then I have to write (*pt).X to access field X of that struct, as opposed to pt.X in D or pt->X in C, making it completely clear to anybody glancing at the code that pt is a pointer.